grub-devel

Re: normal vs. rescue mode commands

From: Tomas Ebenlendr
Subject: Re: normal vs. rescue mode commands
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 17:11:16 +0200

> And what about enabling rescue mode commands in normal mode? (Of course
> the command 'normal' should be hidden). I cannot imagine rescue command
> that should be not accessible from normal mode. Now there are two
> IDENTICAL functions for commands like 'unset'. (they differ only by
> prototype).

There can be then two types of modules:
    1.) do not require 'normal' - implement only rescue mode commands
    2.) require 'normal' - implement normal mode commands (no need for
    rescue mode when we have normal mode)

This looks simpler than loading 'normal' and 'loaders' in arbitrary
order.

It can be done two ways:
    - lazy - patch normal mode searching and executing command
        (I prefer this way)
    - busy - init of normal will generate command entries,
        and hook registering command in rescue mode.
        (I dislike this way because of the 'hook')
--
                                 Tomas 'ebi' Ebenlendr
                                 http://get.to/ebik