Re: UTP Revisited: scoping the project

From: Ingo Schwarze
Subject: Re: UTP Revisited: scoping the project
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 16:30:10 +0200

Hi,

Larry Kollar wrote on Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 09:33:02AM -0400:

> I've not used another editor where you can pipe chunks of
> text *ad hoc* through scripts or even awk/perl one-liners.

That doesn't require vim(1) at all.  I do that all the time
with vanilla vi(1), for example "!}fmt" to automatically
line-break a paragraph of text.

If you are writing a book on a different topic, maybe it would be
best to not gratuitiously require vim(1), but just use POSIX vi(1)?
Of course, it's your decision, but you might want to at least
consider using standard tools, in particular where it is
tangential to the topic of your book.

My personal opinion is that the vi(1) family of editors has exactly
one advantage: that it's the standard editor, standardized by POSIX,
and hence available on each and every machine you come too.
Using vim(1) throws away the one advantage that the vi(1) family
had in the first place...

Yours,
  Ingo