Re: [Groff] *roff for desktop publishing - is it feasible?

From: Gerard Lally
Subject: Re: [Groff] *roff for desktop publishing - is it feasible?
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2016 22:46:13 +0100

On Sun, 23 Oct 2016, at 22:40, Robert Thorsby wrote:
> On 24/10/16 08:26:36, Gerard Lally wrote:
> > Well the sample is meaningless; I searched for a "desktop publishing"
> > image and chose that one at random as a reasonably complex example of
> > what I had in mind. Good typography is one of the reasons I am hoping
> > to standardize on *roff. It's going to be a lifetime commitment for
> > me. I can see its value with regard to normal document formatting,
> > but I was curious to know whether it could be pushed to handle more
> > complex DTP, brochure and business card layouts.
>
> Sorry for my earlier glib reply.

I didn't take it as glib at all, Robert! When I saw your words "The
short answer is Yes" I threw my hands in the air and celebrated!
Admittedly I didn't take your long answer seriously because I am a bit
of a glutton for punishment and I'm quite happy to put the effort into
bending *roff to my will, once I know it can be done.

Thank you!