Re: [Groff] .if !dTS - GNU extension?

From: Deri James
Subject: Re: [Groff] .if !dTS - GNU extension?
Date: Tue, 03 May 2016 23:30:33 +0100

On Sun 01 May 2016 17:39:59 James K. Lowden wrote:
> As far as I can tell, you're defining "best" in terms of the goal of
> delivering a base OS without a troff dependency for manual display.  I
> really don't understand why you consider that desirable.  I would like
> to see groff used more, not less.

I've been using pdf versions of the man pages for a while now. They don't
suffer some of the problems mentioned in this thread. For example, in the ksh
manual you can find the description of "read" with two mouse clicks. First
open the section "Built-in commands" (near the bottom of the overview pane),
then scroll down to the "read" command and click on it.

You can see what I mean at:-

http://chuzzlewit.co.uk/WebManPDF.pl/man:/1/ksh

Be aware this is very slow over the network, the server is only a few
centimetres square with a little arm chip running in it. Its much faster on my
main server. You can get a very crude index of all the man pages on this
little server with:-

http://chuzzlewit.co.uk/

Cheers

Deri