Re: [Groff] .hcode request with german umlauts inside utf8 input file

From: Carsten Kunze
Subject: Re: [Groff] .hcode request with german umlauts inside utf8 input file
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 10:37:11 +0200 (CEST)

> No, it's not a bug in preconv, it's a bug in troff: `.hcode' and `.hw'
> are limited to raw 8bit characters.  Instead, they should accept any
> characters entities like `\[u00AD]'.  Similarly, `.hpfcode' should be
> modified to allow entities, too.

I agree! That really would be the best solution.
(.hcode then can't match a .tr consistent syntax without white space separators
like ".tr abcd" but to address non-7-bit ASCII this is ok.)

> Please file an issue so that it is not forgotten.

Ok, I'll do that.

> PS: A clean solution currently is to put `.hw' lines into a separate
>     file that uses the proper 8bit encoding, and that file gets then
>     included with `.so'.  Since `preconv' gets called before `.soelim'
>     in groff's pipeline, different encodings won't clash.

That's exactly what I did yesterday after the discussion with Ralph. I really
do not like latin1 coded files put for a one-line one-purpose file it is ok :)

Carsten