[Groff] .hcode request with german umlauts inside utf8 input file

From: Carsten Kunze
Subject: [Groff] .hcode request with german umlauts inside utf8 input file
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 13:12:57 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

I have used a .hcode request with german umlauts like

    .hcode ä ä

and so on.  That had been working some time ago.  Maybe I've made the mistake
now to save that file as utf8.  Now I get error messages like

    invalide input character code 132

and so on (from pic(1), which is the first in the pipe here).

Is utf8 input not supported?

de.tmac uses simple 8-bit input (not utf8).  But is the 8-bit code for the
umlauts really the same on each system (at least UNIX)?

--Carsten