Re: [Groff] The future redux

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] The future redux
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 11:46:32 +0000

Hi jkl,

> > man pages don't really need expressive typography.
>
> Man pages are constrained by xterm.  A better display system would
> invite tables, graphs, equations, and links.

I don't think they are.  Or they didn't used to be.  It was common to
see man pages with `.if n' and `.if t', with the troff presenting the
same data in better form, e.g. ASCII art versus pic(1).  man pages used
to be commonly printed and high-quality output desired, screen devices
were glass TTYs, and Sun would ship printed paper man pages in folders.
I still check the PDF of a man page I alter as it shows flaws that
grotty(1) can't.

Cheers, Ralph.