Re: [Groff] The future redux

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] The future redux
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 14:33:49 +0100

> > Man pages are not tutorials or complete manuals
>
> Yes they are, or should be.  They used to be.

Fairly complete manuals, yes;  tutorials, I don't think they
ever were.  The manual page for the fortran compiler says what
the compiler options are -- it does not teach you programming
in fortran;  the vi manual page say what the different key
presses do -- it does not teach you how to use vi effectively;
etc.  There have always been separate tutorial books for those
aspects.  The manpages instead were terse.  Of course that
doesn't mean you couldn't learn using the programs from them.
Good ones even included examples for illustration of ideas.