Re: [Groff] producing a booklet with groff ?

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] producing a booklet with groff ?
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 22:47:27 +0100

> And the  ps2ps  is at the end because without it NOTHING
> I did would make it print duplex in my HP LaserJet 2200d
> (about 10 years old).

Uh... the ps2ps is a *bad* idea -- it completely mangles
your fonts.  (I have no idea why it should do this, since
ghostscript has no problems handling fonts correctly with
the pdfwrite device.)  You should get rid of it and find a
real solution to your duplexing problem.  Is it a Postscript
printer?  What program are you using to send the document to
the printer?

> The  pstops  arguments required A LOT of experimentation,
> and I could not explain why it works for the life of me.

The numbers appear strange because you are using two competing
programs, psnup *and* pstops, to do the job of one.  It would be
much simpler to do without psnup and let pstops handle everything.

For letter paper, "psnup -pletter -2" is equivalent to

  pstops -pletter '2:address@hidden(7.809in,0in)address@hidden(7.809in,5.5in)'

or

  pstops -pletter
'4:address@hidden(7.809in,0in)address@hidden(7.809in,5.5in),address@hidden(7.809in,0in)address@hidden(7.809in,5.5in)'

which is a 4-page version that just duplicates the page
specifications, but is easier to compare with what follows.

This would be sufficient (apart from scaling and such) if your
printer supported tumble duplexing (short edge flip), which is
what you need for booklet printing.

If it doesn't (or you always forget how to turn it on), you can
do the tumbling yourself.  It simply involves rotating every
other (final output) page by 180 degrees about its center
and then printing in normal duplex mode (long edge flip).

But this is something you can already do when assembling the
original pages four to a sheet:

  pstops -pletter
'4:address@hidden(7.809in,0in)address@hidden(7.809in,5.5in),address@hidden(0.691in,11in)address@hidden(0.691in,5.5in)'
 <dummydoc.ps >dummydoc.ps6

This is similar to the version above, except that the 3rd and
4th page are rotated the other way and positioned differently.
(The lower one is now at the top and the upper one at the bottom.
Remember that a page's coordinate origin is at the lower left.)

The scaling factor is computed to fit two input paper "widths"
(8.5 in) into one output paper "height" (11 in).  The positions
are chosen to center the input paper height in the output paper
width.

I have attached a dummy document suitable for experimenting and
the output of the two pstops runs above.