[Groff] Question re: embedded fonts

From: Clarke Echols
Subject: [Groff] Question re: embedded fonts
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 09:59:03 -0600

I'm in over me head a bit here...

I have typeset several books (novels) for a friend using Times Roman
font set and groff with PostScript output.  The printing plant is
asking for embedded fonts, and I don't see anything but what I think
is the font metrics files in /usr/share/groff/1.18.1/font/devps in
files TR, TI, TB, and TBI.

I'm inclined to think these are font metric files for Adobe Times
Roman font family fonts, and rely on the Adobe fonts installed on
the printer (such as a PostScript-equipped HP LaserJet).  Am I
anywhere close to right on this?  The folks at the printing plant
prefer that the fonts be embedded with the PS or PDF file so there
is no risk of mis-matched layout.

I downloaded the cm-super font package (all 67 Mbytes) and unpacked
it.  Now I see directories for afm, debian, dvipdfm, dvips, inf,
pfb, and vtex.  I am clueless about tex.  I am suspicious that what
I need is in dvips, but reading through the README and other files
in the package, I'm still swimming in mud.

Can anyone in groff-land give me a hint about where to start with
these in order to get the fonts up and running with groff/grops
convert the mystical font-file names into something that a mere
mortal such as I can make sense of?

Thanks a bunch!

Clarke