Re: [Groff] Question re: embedded fonts

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Question re: embedded fonts
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 20:03:58 +0200 (CEST)

> > I have typeset several books (novels) for a friend using Times
> > Roman font set and groff with PostScript output.  The printing
> > plant is asking for embedded fonts, and I don't see anything but
> > what I think is the font metrics files in
> > /usr/share/groff/1.18.1/font/devps in files TR, TI, TB, and TBI.
> >
> > I'm inclined to think these are font metric files for Adobe Times
> > Roman font family fonts, and rely on the Adobe fonts installed on
> > the printer (such as a PostScript-equipped HP LaserJet).  Am I
> > anywhere close to right on this?
>
> I think you're spot-on here. The main fonts in groff are the "Adobe
> standard" font families (Times, Avatgarde, Bookman, Courier,
> Helvetica, NewCenturySchoolbook, Palatine, Symbol) which are assumed
> to exist on the printer (or mapped in the printer to equivalent
> fonts supplied by the printer manufacturer -- not always an exact
> match for the Adobe font metrics!).  Hence there are no
> font-definition file (".pfa" etc), only the font metrics files.

You have to purchase the original fonts from Adobe to be able to embed
them into your document.  In that case, put the fonts (converted to
PFA format) into the devps directory and add its names to the
`download' file.

If you display your document with ghostscript, the freely available
replacement fonts from URW are used, which differ slightly in both
shapes and metrics.  This might be acceptable by you: In that case,
call

   ps2pdf -dPDFSETTINGS=/printer \
          -dCompatibilityLevel=1.3 \
          -dMaxSubsetPct=100 \
          -dSubsetFonts=true \
          -dEmbedAllFonts=true \
          -sPAPERSIZE=<your size> <your PS document>

and all fonts get embedded automatically (including the 14 base fonts,
which is caused by the PDFSETTINGS option).

If you want to use the extended character set which come with the URW
fonts, or if you are not satisfied with the replacement glyphs, create
the corresponding groff metric files from the AFM files using
afmtodit.

> Groff has a device devdvi which again has only font metrics files,
> and with this produces a ".dvi" file.  If you have TeX/LaTeX
> installed, then you will have the fonts installed with it.

Using tfmtodit you can also add new fonts for DVI output.

> dvips can be excruciatingly slow at time, though, since it will
> "compile" the fonts it needs for you document into bitmaps.

Well, today almost all TeX fonts are available as Type 1 fonts, so
this isn't a problem.