Re: [Groff] Re: verbatim text in mom?

From: Jorgen Grahn
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: verbatim text in mom?
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 19:42:37 +0100

On Sat Jan 17 02:42:35 2004, address@hidden wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2004, Meg McRoberts wrote:
> > Does this handle \n correctly?  I've never used anything
> > but man and mm but I spent 20 years writting developer doc
> > in troff and \n is the bane of my existence!
>
> Not sure what you mean by "handle \n correctly."  If you mean \n as
> in "newline", as it might appear in a verbatin code snippet, the
> answer's no.  You have to escape the backslash, normal groff style
> (i.e. \\n).  But, if that's the behaviour you want, I can put a
> little kludge into om.tmac so that \n in verbatim text shows up as
> you expect.

Depending on what kind of documentation the original poster writes,
the vgrind preprocessor might be useful. The BSD vgrind(1):

  http://www.hmug.org/man/1/vgrind.html

(I haven't tried it, because what I really want is whatever Bjarne Stroustrup
uses to format C++ source in his books.  And no, I haven't written it myself
yet ;-)

/Jorgen

--
  // Jörgen Grahn       "And then the design was ignored, and small children
\X/ <address@hidden>  with crayons were given the O'Reilly Perl books and