Re: [Groff] OT [= Old Thread ..!]: PDF problems - see attached f

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] OT [= Old Thread ..!]: PDF problems - see attached f
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 09:46:07 +0100 (BST)

On 29-Sep-03 Ted Harding wrote:
> On 28-Sep-03 Ted Harding wrote:
>> > The following comparison between the PDF fonts (as shown by Document
>> Properties) may be of interest, and certainly puzzles me as to how an
>> apparently simple change in the -call to gs with output-device =
>> pdfwrite in both cases can make such a difference:
>
> I think I have found where it is coming from.
>
> The command generated by the script "ps2pdf temp.ps" is in fact
>
> exec gs -dSAFER -q -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite \
>          -sOutputFile=temp.pdf -dSAFER -c .setpdfwrite \
>          -f temp.ps
>
> I don't know what ".setpdfwrite" is, but I tried an experiment
> which simply omitted it.
>
> Result:
>   With .setpdfwrite, bad output.
>   Without .setpdfwrite, good output.

I've now locate .setpdfwrite -- it is in

  /usr/share/ghostscript/7.05/lib/gs_pdfwr.ps

and it is:

/.setpdfwrite {         % - .setpdfwrite -
                % Set a large VM threshold to reduce garbage collection.
  currentuserparams /VMThreshold get 3000000 .max setvmthreshold
                % Install a level of 'save' to reduce font loading.
  save pop
} bind def

So I'm still unclear why this solves the rendering problem!

Cheers,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 167 1972