[Groff] OT [= Old Thread ..!]: PDF problems - see attached file

From: Ted Harding
Subject: [Groff] OT [= Old Thread ..!]: PDF problems - see attached file
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 15:37:16 +0100 (BST)

Hi Folks,
I see this problem was discussed back in May 2002:

  http://www.ffii.org/archive/mails/groff/2002/May/0102.html

(et seq.)

Namely, that in distilling groff's PS output to PDF using ps2pdf
from the Ghostscript 7.* series, there were rendering problems.
Specifically, in that query, ligature characters came out with
what can be described a wrong kerning (too much, or too little,
space following the characters; and this seemd to occur after the
break from page 1 to page 2.

I'm having this problem, with some no doubt related features, using
(for the first time) groff 1.18.1, ghostscript 7.05, and Red Hat 9.
In addition to the above, when equations are typeset there is a related
problem which is triggered when symbols have marks such as "hat", "bar"
or "tilde" above them, in that the horizintal placement on that line
gets thrown out, and the marks themselves are offset from where they
should be. I will have to solve this soon, since the results are totally
unacceptable for purpose.

The preceding correspondence seemed to come very plausibly to the
conclusion that the bug lay in ghostscript 7.*. Unfortumately, it
is this version which comes packaged with Red Hat 9.

Can I ask if a good solution was found, other than reverting to the
6.* series of ghostscript (which I have on another machine and which
indeed does not show the bug; but this would mean transferring files
from machine to machine all the time).

With thanks,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>