Re: [Groff] Unix Man Pages

From: J Robinson
Subject: Re: [Groff] Unix Man Pages
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 06:17:54 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

--- Ralph Corderoy <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi John,
> > So there is no way to reliably turn off
> hyphenation in manpages? (You
> > can do this trick: "(echo .nh; cat
> /path/to/manpage.1) | nroff ..." as
> > Ralph Corderoy suggested, but it can be unset in
> the troff source?
>
> ...  I later
> suggested to Colin
> redefining the `hyphenation on' command so it does
> nothing.
>http://ffii.org/archive/mails/groff/2003/Mar/0023.html
> That way, you turn it off with the echo, define the
> `turn on' command to
> do nothing, and if the man page attempts to turn it
> on itself it won't
> happen.

I looked at the link you give above, where you say
"Can't a more robust version of my `echo .nh' redefine
.hy to do nothing?". Can you give me a concrete
example of a more robust version of 'echo .nh'?  Being
a troff/nroff/groff newbie, I'm not sure what you mean
by that.

Also, is there a way to set the line width for
manpages (independent of the terminal actually used?)

Thanks!
jrobinson