Re: [Groff] Joseph Ossanna

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] Joseph Ossanna
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 14:37:45 +0100 (BST)

Thanks, Ralph and others, for the interesting replies so far.

On 19-Jun-01 Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> Do you mind my asking why you're interested?  Don't worry if you'd
> rather not say.

There's no secret or mystery about it.

Simply, it had become clear to me that in early UNIX,
and especially in early troff, Ossanna was a very
important person indeed.

Yet all I have come across about him is short asides
and brief references to his contributions. This irritates
me.

While (and I have no grumbles whatever about it) we have
access to a lot of information about Hernighan and Ritchie
and some other pioneers of the software we know and love,
I would also like to have something comparable for Ossanna,
so that I have a human image with which to associate my
appreciation for his work.

Keep the info rolling, if others have anything to add!
Meanwhile, I shall follow up the leads people have already
given.

Thanks again, and best wishes to all,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>