[Groff] Joseph Ossanna

From: Ted Harding
Subject: [Groff] Joseph Ossanna
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 09:24:25 +0100 (BST)

Hi Folks,

I am trying to find out a bit about the life of
Joseph Ossanna.

He was one of the original "Club" who worked on
the early development of UNIX, and he especially
led the early development of troff out of roff
(apparently being particularly responsible for
introducing programmability). There is quite a lot
of information around as to what he _did_ by way
of devloping all this software.

However, there is very little about his _life_.
Almost the only reference to his life that you will
find is some phrase like "the late Jo Ossanna", etc.

It appears that he died, prematurely, in 1977 and,
therefore, in the early days of UNIX and troff.
But there is no information I can find as to why
he died, for instance, and certainly nothing else
about him.

The only personal information I have is a very
shy-looking photo in "A Quarter-Century of UNIX".

Does anyone else kow where to look for more?

All best wishes,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 167 1972