[Groff] tmac.FOO vs. FOO.tmac

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] tmac.FOO vs. FOO.tmac
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 14:36:09 +0200 (CEST)

Dear friends,

I've just applied Eli's patch to load FOO.tmac if tmac.FOO isn't
found.

Now my question: What about loading FOO.tmac first, and then trying
tmac.FOO?

I see some benefits:

  .  The nasty stuff to have `tmac.gan' on some platforms would be
     obsolete since other troffs don't use `an.tmac' resp. `man.tmac',
     AFAIK.

  .  8+3 compatibility would be possible.

  .  For me it is more intuitive to have FOO.tmac -- tmac.FOO rather
     looks like a configuration file (but this is debatable of
     course).

Are there drawbacks?  I don't expect that many external packages use
groff's macro files...

    Werner

PS: Later on, I will introduce an additional directory hierarchy level
    for groff's runtime files similar to e.g. emacs:

       /usr/local/share/groff/1.17/{tmac,font,...}