gpsd-users

Re: gpsd disconnects using ublox M8T

From: James Browning
Subject: Re: gpsd disconnects using ublox M8T
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2022 01:22:52 -0700 (PDT)

On 11/04/2022 2:46 PM PDT Jon Ulrigg <jon@siaudio.com> wrote:

Hey Gary,

Thanks so much for your response!

I spun a new image last night using gpsd 3.24, and with no other changes so far it is running reliably.

Thanks for the detailed information, if the issue pops up again, I'll come back with something more useful regarding what it is exactly going on.

On a side note, now that it is not losing connection, I'm having some issues with the Python gps library.  Not sure if this is the appropriate place for this level of detail.

Initially I was using the gps3 library(as I started with an example based there), but it hasn't seen update since 2016, so I've abandoned that in favor of the gps library, since it is referenced in the HOWTO.

I'm using Python 3.10 and gps 3.19

I downloaded the example2.py from the HOWTO, using
wget -o example2.py https://gpsd.io/example2.py.txt
Out of the gate, running the example generates the following error:

  File "/home/jon/webserver/webserver_env/lib/python3.10/site-packages/gps/client.py", line 199, in unpack
    self.data = "" encoding="ascii"))
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/json/__init__.py", line 359, in loads
TypeError: JSONDecoder.__init__() got an unexpected keyword argument 'encoding'

You should not be using any gpsd module from PYPI; uninstall
that scrap now. If you absolutely have to use one, at least use
https://test.pypi.org/project/gps-pessimus/, which is only 30ish
commits obsolete instead of YEARS. The offending line was fixed
in July 2020.

Also, ick the top posting. Deleting the remainder is probably
solved since frostoov forked the module.