gpsd-users

Re: NMEA error on cat /dev/ttyACM0

From: Seán Mac Suibhne
Subject: Re: NMEA error on cat /dev/ttyACM0
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 22:52:30 +0000 (UTC)

Gary,
Thank you for the reply
I put examples of the output and the reported and actual locations in another enail. Thank you for the information on gpsd.

Seán
On Tuesday 30 August 2022 at 18:41:05 IST, Gary E. Miller <gem@rellim.com> wrote:

> > This the output of lsusb for one of the dongles Bus 004
> > Device 003: ID 1546:01a7 U-Blox AG [u-blox 7

> > The 7-series were never very good.  You should update to a newer/better
> > one.

> > ]for some time now I
> > notice the result of cat /dev/ttyACM0 gives the wrong latitude and
> > longitude

> > How wrong?  You are too far away for my mind reading to work.  We need
> > to see that NMEA, and know your correct lat/lon.

> > which wasnt a problem as I use them to get time and date on
> > the raspberry pis

> You can't know the precise time without knowing the precise location.

> > When I telnet  localhost 2947
> > and put in    ?WATCH={"enable":true,"nme":true}

> "nme"?  WATCH has no option "nme".

Sorry that was a typo

> I also get the same errors

Of course.  Garbage in, garbage out.  The u-blox sends bad data to
gpsd and gpsd passes it on.

> However if I put in
>     ?WATCH={"enable":true,"json":true}I get the correct lat and long

Needless to say, my long distance mind reading is still failing me.
Without seeing what you are seeing, we can't help.

> Why is cat /dev/ttyACM0 not giving the correct values for lat and
> long anymore and how can I correct it?

a) without us seeing what is wrong, we can't guess how to fix it.

b) That "cat" is direct from the u-blox.  Nothing gpsd can do about your
u-blox.

> BTW I use
>     cat /dev/ttyACM0 | grep -a GPRMC >> gps.log
> to record my location when I move locations on a raspberry pi

Nice to know, but useless to us without also showing us your gps.log.

RGDS
GARY
    gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588