gpsd-users

Re: Gpsmon and "FAA" value

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Gpsmon and "FAA" value
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 14:51:13 -0800

Yo scorpion7!

On Thu, 18 Nov 2021 17:39:43 -0500
scorpion7 <scorpion7@iqonline.net> wrote:

>       Awesome info!  Thanks for the fast response.  Quick question
> regarding this... FAA "D" has seemingly been the preferred mode.  If
> the result is "A" - any sense of the implication?

"D" is a mess.  Inconsistently used across receiver models.  Sometimes
it means using WAAS, sometimes NTRIP, sometimes never shown no matter what.

Most consister "A" and "D" equivalent.  If you need better data, don't
use NMEA.

> For reference and those playing with RPI4: recently updated to
> Bullseye (previously it is was "D").  Have also noticed some changes
> around the PPS kernel module/behavior.

Such as?  the gpsio_pps has always been weird.

> It's an RPI4 w/4G of RAM,
> using the Adafruit GPS HAT (746) dedicated to NTP - if that matters.

I'm sure it matter for something, but unrelated to NMEA.

Your HAT matters.  I see Adafruit dropped the price (now $30) and changed
the chip to an MT3333 (GPS + GLONASS).  I hope you have the MT3333
instead of the MT3339 (GPS only).  Either way, not a very sensitive
chip.

I'm pretty sure the MT333x do not support RTK, so the D would prolly
mean with WAAS.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588