gpsd-users

Re: gpsd losing connection to ublox

From: Niall Parker
Subject: Re: gpsd losing connection to ublox
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 13:56:12 -0800

On 2021-11-09 2:21 p.m., Gary E. Miller wrote
On Tue, 9 Nov 2021 14:15:52 -0800

On 2021-11-09 10:38 a.m., Gary E. Miller wrote:
You could try forcing the port speed (-s)
Bingo, thank you sir !

Everything is much better behaved with -s 115200 in GPSD_OPTIONS

Without it, ubxtool wouldn't even recognize the GPS and the debug log
was full of serial speed probe attempts. Occasionally it would find
it OK, get data but then lose it again.
I think this is fixed in git head. Would be nice if you can test.

Built latest and gave it a try. Still getting the loss of connection if I don't specify the speed, with the additional problem that PPS is N/A in gpsmon, even if I leave it a while (whereas the 3.23.1 release picks it up right away)

ppstest works the same whether from 3.23.1 or release-3.23.1-121-g16692c767 and using same config files so something broke with PPS in the latest

My ntpd isn't using PPS though, even after a 12 hour run to settle. I had the polarity wrong initially but after fixing that in the device tree and seeing a much lower offset it wasn't enough for ntpd to regard as sane. Is this my fudge value out of whack ?

Still something to fix, what is the best approach to determine a good fudge value ?

            ... Niall