gpsd-users

gpsd losing connection to ublox

From: Niall Parker
Subject: gpsd losing connection to ublox
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 12:38:24 -0800

Hello,

I've setup gpsd and ntpsec as per the GPSD Time Service HOWTO, using a locally compiled gpsd v 3.23.1 instead of distribution version (Nvidia Jetson with Ubuntu 18.04). Managed to get PPS working after sorting the device tree and the system seems to work as expected initially.

After running for a short period of time though, gpsd seems to lose connection to the GPS (a ublox module connected to /dev/ttyTHS1). It will get a few updates then nothing for a minute or more, then maybe a couple more updates and another delay. Often cgps will fail with a timeout.

I've confirmed no delays or lost packets when just looking at serial output from GPS without gpsd running. I don't think power management is the issue, the board is moderately busy running 30-40% CPU most of the time. Could it be too busy for gpsd ???

Any hints on how to trace the loss of connection would be appreciated, thanks.

            ...Niall