gpsd-users

Re: Building gpsd on Debian 11 (Bullseye)

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Building gpsd on Debian 11 (Bullseye)
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 15:35:46 -0700

Yo Charles!

On Tue, 5 Oct 2021 12:44:43 -0600
Charles Curley <charlescurley@charlescurley.com> wrote:

> I'm working on updating the build instructions in build.adoc.

A neverending task.

> Two python packages have gone away in the transition from Buster to
> Bullseye, python-gobject-2-dev and python-cairo-dev. Building (scons
> --config=force) seems to work without them.

They are never required, just needed to run xgps.  So, optional.

My guess is that they got renamed, again.  gentoo avoid this mess by
using slotting.

> I also get:
>
> Checking Python module matplotlib... (cached)
> WARNING: gpsplot is missing required runtime module matplotlib

Pretty clear.  You are missing matplotlib.  Required to run gpsplot,
But not rewuired to install it.  So, optional.

> xgps is not working correctly:
>
> $ xgps: can't load Python gps libraries -- check PYTHONPATH.
> No module named 'gps'

And did you check your PYTHONPATH?

> It looks like the gps python libraries are installed but:

Installed where?  Installed in a place in your PYTHONPATH?

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588