gpsd-users

Re: Building gpsd on Debian 11 (Bullseye)

From: Charles Curley
Subject: Re: Building gpsd on Debian 11 (Bullseye)
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 16:15:23 -0600

On Wed, 6 Oct 2021 11:14:45 -0700
"Gary E. Miller" <gem@rellim.com> wrote:

> Yo Charles!
>
> On Wed, 6 Oct 2021 11:25:44 -0600
> Charles Curley <charlescurley@charlescurley.com> wrote:

> > > They are never required, just needed to run xgps.  So, optional.
> > >
> > > My guess is that they got renamed, again.  gentoo avoid this mess
> > > by using slotting.
> >
> > They seem to have gone away entirely. Even searching on variants
> > turns nothing up. Or I'm not imaginative enough in my variant
> > searching. Anyway, once I got xgps working (see below) xgps and
> > xgpsspeed were fine.
>
> Ouch.  Those are pretty important packages to a lot of projects.  I
> can't believe they just disappeared.  And, since you got xgps working
> they must be there somehow.

That's what I figure.

> UNless you have old orphaned packages or a pip install.

Nope. Brand new installation of Bullseye. Debian packages only, so no
pip installations.

> > Install file: "gpsd-3.23.2~dev/gps/fake.py" as
> > "/usr/local/lib/python3/dist-packages/gps/fake.py" Install file:
> > "gpsd-3.23.2~dev/gps/gps.py" as
> > "/usr/local/lib/python3/dist-packages/gps/gps.py" Install file:
> > "gpsd-3.23.2~dev/gps/misc.py" as
> > "/usr/local/lib/python3/dist-packages/gps/misc.py"
>
> Weird.  That violates Python policy...

That I will leave to you.

> So your PYTHONPATH should include:
>     /usr/local/lib/python3/dist-packages/
>
> > root@iorich:~/versioned/gpsd# echo $PYTHONPATH
>
> But it does not.
>
> > root@iorich:~/versioned/gpsd# export [...]
>
> You should put that somewhere so you do not have to do that on every
> login.

Yup. However, it can get messy.

On a machine, again a fresh Bullseye install, I have:

root@freeman:~# ll -d /usr/local/lib/pytho*
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Sep 28 10:15 /usr/local/lib/python3.9/
root@freeman:~#

On iorich, where I've built gpsd, I have:

root@iorich:~/versioned/gpsd# ll -d /usr/local/lib/pytho*
drwxrwsr-x 4 root staff 4096 Oct  5 11:06 /usr/local/lib/python2.7
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root  4096 Oct  5 11:56 /usr/local/lib/python3
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root  4096 Aug 27 16:06 /usr/local/lib/python3.9
root@iorich:~/versioned/gpsd#

Judging by the date, python2.7 and python3 were created in the process
of building and installing gpsd.

So I think I will leave that to the user to figure out, with a reminder.

> On gentoo you put in /etc/env.c/999local
>

> > root@iorich:~/versioned/gpsd# gpsfake
> > gpsfake: requires at least one> logfile argument.
>
> I suggest this instead:
>
> $ gpsfake -V
> gpsfake: Version 3.23.2~dev
> #

Check.

> > root@iorich:~/versioned/gpsd# xgps
> > xgps: host localhost port 2947
>
> Ditto:
>
> $ xgps -V
> xgps: Version 3.23.2~dev

Check.

> > root@iorich:~/versioned/gpsd#
> >
> > Which path I found after looking (again) at the output from the
> > installation:
>
> Exactly why it is there.
>
> > Ensure your PYTHONPATH
> > includes /usr/local/lib/python3/dist-packages/
>
> > So apparently a package handles the path issue correctly, but
> > building locally does not. I will make a note.
>
> This is very standard Python behavior.  By default, a distro Python
> ignores user installed packages.
>
> https://docs.python.org/3/using/cmdline.html#envvar-PYTHONPATH

Ah, thanks.

> > I will let my changes to build.adoc sit overnight, take another
> > look, and ship it tomorrow.
>
> Cool.  I used to think Debian was a stable distro...

Oh, it is. Very stable. Except about every two years when the upgrade
tsunami hits.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com