gpsd-users

Re: Installing 3.20 gpsd from source on Raspberry Pi cards old and new.

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Installing 3.20 gpsd from source on Raspberry Pi cards old and new.
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2020 10:23:31 -0700

Yo David!

On Tue, 9 Jun 2020 09:39:44 +0100
"David J Taylor" <gm8arv@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I've now managed to get gpsd 3.20 working and installed as a service
> using only the files from the current GIT on a Raspberry Pi.  My
> notes are here.

Cool.  Anything that gpsd should patch to be better/easier?

I still don't understand why anyone would run gpsd/ntpd for a stratum 1
under systemd(umb).  A lot of complication for negative benefits.

Can you confirm that your gpsd is running on start, before any gpsd
clients connect to it?

> It is annoying to find the latest release of the Raspberry Pi OS (new
> name) still has out-dated versions of packages such as ntp and gpsd.

Interesting.  As this pages says:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/

"Raspberry Pi OS (previously called Raspbian) is our official operating
system for all models of the Raspberry Pi."

So the distro formerly known as Raspbian.

No mention of Ubuntu or Buster anywhere on that page.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588