gpsd-users

Re: Is it possible to get AIS data by ?POLL; command?

From: Lucien Van Elsen
Subject: Re: Is it possible to get AIS data by ?POLL; command?
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 14:28:25 -0400

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 1:49 PM Владимир Калачихин <address@hidden> wrote:
No messages are skipped. $noVehacleTimeout - the time of absence of
messages from the vehicle.

But I am not English - please forgive my English.

No worries - to clarify; when a ship is moored or at anchor, the position message is only broadcast every 180 seconds; removing the vehicle from your in-memory database after 30 seconds will be too soon, for this case.
  Additionally, even when sent, messages may be lost in transmission due to poor signal strength or interference.  You may find a larger timeout (e.g, 360+ seconds) useful if you would prefer to have a ship that is has some probability of still being there visible in the output, over aggressively removing it.  Of course, it depends on your use case.