gpsd-users

[External] Re: Time precision in gps_fix_t

From: Burton, John
Subject: [External] Re: Time precision in gps_fix_t
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 11:57:21 -0500

PPS is almost a requirement if you want high precision time keeping / time stamps.

The concept is to first synchronize the computer's system clock to GPS time. This is done very well by a combination of GPSD (talks to the GPS receiver), KPPS (kernel interrupt responding to the Pulse Per Second signal provided by many (most?) GPS receivers), and also CHRONYD which synchronizes the system clock to network or device (GPS) time. The PPS signal provides the precise instance when the time measurement is taken. This accounts for the latencies and delays you describe. For an in-depth description of why this is important and how it is done, see the GPSD documentation : https://gpsd.gitlab.io/gpsd/gpsd-time-service-howto.html

John