gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] After RELEASE_TIME device closed, gpsd reports error on

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] After RELEASE_TIME device closed, gpsd reports error on next open
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2019 11:30:54 -0700

Yo Bin!

On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 14:40:47 +0000
Bin Guo <address@hidden> wrote:

> I did later tested with antenna, and got 3d fix. though still trying
> to confirm PPS working...

First check: "ppscheck /dev/pps0".  Does that work?

Then run "gpsd -nND 5 /dev/PS1 |& fgrep PPS" and copy this list
on the results.

> > root@5gsb:~# /usr/sbin/gpsd -F /var/run/gpsd.sock -P
> > /var/run/gpsd.pid /dev/ttyPS1 -N
>
> Why are you doing that?
> Why use "-F /var/run/gpsd.sock" and "/dev/ttyPS1"?
>
> I was using yocto project packaged gpsd script.

We are not yocto.  You have to ask them why they do that.

To do it the gpsd way, don't do that.

> I don't think we
> really need -F to edit device list  since we are running on a
> customized board with a fixed u-blox chip communicating using UART:

Good.  Gone then.

> ttyPS1 is the name chosen by device tree.

Yes, funny name, but that still does not tell us what device driver.
The device driver is key here.

> Why are you not using "-n"?  You should always use "-n" unless you
> are on battery and power is very important.
>
> Will try -n, thanks for the advice! I hope that in that case I only
> need to look at shm...

"-n" and SHM are totally unrelated.

> > next gpspipe call shows that gpsd never gets back to UBX-... mode
> > but gets stuck in a bad state:
>
> That can happen, so use "-n" to avoid it.  Might be related to
> whatever /dev/PS1 is.  How long did you wait?  resync can take
> minutes.

You did not answer the above questions.

> I did make a patch attached to handle reactive event inside ubx
> driver which seems to fix this mode issue.

What is a "reactive" event?  Can you share your patch?

> This should be enough for
> us now (prefer -n and will test it), but is this applicable to
> general ublox driver?

I can only guess without your source code.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588