gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Garmin 18X LVC and upcoming week rollover

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Garmin 18X LVC and upcoming week rollover
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 13:31:01 -0800

Yo Rich!

On Fri, 15 Feb 2019 18:44:44 -0800
Rich Wales <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi.  I have a Garmin 18X LVC, wired up to a serial port on an Ubuntu
> 16.04 system, and interfacing via gpsd 3.15.

3.15?  Really?  Fix that.

> I got this hardware in 2009; original firmware (never patched); and
> I'm wondering if I'm going to run into trouble when the week number
> rolls over in early April, or if my system's version of gpsd will
> handle matters correctly.

You, and everyone else, wants to know the answer to that.  The Garmin
firmware is proprietary, and unsupported.

OTOH, that is an ancient GPS.  Modern GPS are much better. Skip the
worries, and get 10 years of bug fixes by spending $20 on a modern one.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588