gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] External main loop. Was: Correct way to handle 5 Hz on

From: Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] External main loop. Was: Correct way to handle 5 Hz on an application
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2018 17:13:13 -0300

El miércoles, 24 de octubre de 2018 17:01:17 -03 Gary E. Miller escribió:
> Yo Lisandro!
>
> On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 16:42:40 -0300
>
> Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > And gpsd has a public stable API.  So keep walking around a problem
> > > but not descbing it.
> >
> > Just not as good as it can be, provided that it already uses Qt.
>
> Suggestions welcome.  Patches stronly encouraged.

If Qt > 4 add the number after the Q in the library name *and* soname.

> > > I see nothing wrong with the gpsd SONAME binding.  I do appreciate
> > > that Debian does some of that in non-standard ways.
> >
> > Build libqgpsmm with Qt4 and you will get libQgpsmm.so.<nn>. Build
> > libqgpsmm with Qt5 and you will still have the same shared library
> > name and SONAME.
>
> So learn to use 'cp'?  You don't rename libc with each new gcc, but
> the same types of incomatibilities exist.

Because libc is backwards compatible. When they break API/ABI a full rebuild
is needed. Changing the Qt version behind the scenes is not.

Also cp does not takes care if the SONAME, which is embedded in the file:

$ objdump -x /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQgpsmm.so.23.0.0 | grep SONAME
  SONAME               libQgpsmm.so.23

--
If you realize that you are in a hole... stop digging.
  Anonimous, thanks to ScottK.

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/