gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] External main loop. Was: Correct way to handle 5 Hz on

From: Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] External main loop. Was: Correct way to handle 5 Hz on an application
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2018 14:42:10 -0300

El miércoles, 24 de octubre de 2018 14:35:38 -03 Gary E. Miller escribió:
> Yo Lisandro!

> > > Uh, not exactly.  You don't really need any libqgpsmm to use Qt5
> > > with gpsd.
> >
> > The only way libgps_core gets compiled with QTcpSocket as a socket is
> > while building libqgpsmm.
>
> Sure.  gpsd has no idea how to build your project.  Nothing to
> stop you just copying libgps_core.c into your project.

Proper dependencies handling, of course. Embedding external code is just plain
bad practice.

> > > Not really avoiding it.  Just obfuscating it.
> > >
> > > And since you like the QTcpSocket() method, what is stopping you?
> > > The code for it is in libgps_sock.c  Just uusee that.
> >
> > Public API! Yes, I could copy code from there and use it, but what I
> > want is to use the public gpsd API, which are gps.h and libgpsmm.h
>
> I'm still unsure what is stopping you.  That code is right there.  Just
> use libgps_sock.c.  You do not need to use the libs from gpsd to use
> the API from gpsd.

Yes, a proper library only provides headers! If I need to recompile
libgps_sock then I'm doing it wrong. Embedding is bad, really.

So by using libqgpsmm against Qt5 I get everything I need using just a
precompiled distro package!

--
En los momentos de crisis, la imaginación es mas importante que el
conocimiento.

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/