gpsd-users

[gpsd-users] Navisys GR-601W (was: Suggestions for inexpensive receiver)

From: Mark Atwood
Subject: [gpsd-users] Navisys GR-601W (was: Suggestions for inexpensive receiver)
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2016 10:03:26 -0700

Hello Roger,

You can get the Navisys GR-601W u-blox-6 "Macx-1" USB GNSS receiver from here

https://www.etsy.com/listing/280336400/navisys-gr-601w-u-blox-6-macx-1-usb-gnss

for USD45.00 each, plus worldwide postage.

They are the "Macx-1" PPS-over-USB GPS receiver described at (http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=4335), and are intended specifically for gpsd/ntpd/ntpsec use.

--
Mark Atwood <address@hidden>
+1-206-604-2198

On Mon, Aug 8, 2016, at 04:08, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
We typically use high-end receivers in our systems that use gpsd. They are also used for accurate locations and system geometry. We have now had a request for a possible inexpensive receiver. The requirement is that we can sync time with the unit (RS-232 or USB) and that it provides NMEA sentences like GGA and possibly RMC. Accuracy will of course follow price. I have looked at the hardware list for gpsd and it is a bit dated. I confess that we have been bad about reporting the receivers we use for inclusion in that list. But I am certain that may more receivers are working fine than are reported on this list.

Anyway, what do the list members use for inexpensive receivers with the basic functionality (listed above)? I guess another requirement is that the receiver is still available... I realize it is a rather wide open question.

Roger Oberholtzer

RST Systems

Office: +46 (0)10-615 6020
Mobile: +46 (0)70-815 1696