gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Suggestions for inexpensive receiver

From: David J Taylor
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Suggestions for inexpensive receiver
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2016 18:01:24 +0100

We typically use high-end receivers in our systems that use gpsd. They are also used for accurate locations and system geometry. We have now had a request for a possible inexpensive receiver. The requirement is that we can sync time with the unit (RS-232 or USB) and that it provides NMEA sentences like GGA and possibly RMC. Accuracy will of course follow price. I have looked at the hardware list for gpsd and it is a bit dated. I confess that we have been bad about reporting the receivers we use for inclusion in that list. But I am certain that may more receivers are working fine than are reported on this list.

Anyway, what do the list members use for inexpensive receivers with the basic functionality (listed above)? I guess another requirement is that the receiver is still available... I realize it is a rather wide open question.

Roger Oberholtzer
RST Systems
===================================

Roger,

How cheap do you want:  For about SEK 60 you can get PPS:

http://www.banggood.com/1-5Hz-VK2828U7G5LF-TTL-Ublox-GPS-Module-With-Antenna-p-965540.html

with, perhaps, not the best reliability if the customer reviews are to be believed. I bought a couple and the behave OK.

For something a little better, this will fit on a Raspberry Pi and has proved reliable here - about SEK 300:

https://store.uputronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_64&product_id=81

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu