gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] strange - currently only few satellites

From: David J Taylor
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] strange - currently only few satellites
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 06:52:01 +0100

Yo David!

I think all we need is a clear statement in your code assigning your
copyright.

Here is what ESR has used:

* This code by ESR, Copyright (C) 2013, under BSD terms.

Here is what Chris Kuethe used:

# Copyright (c) 2008 Chris Kuethe <address@hidden>
#
# Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software for any
# purpose with or without fee is hereby granted, provided that the above
# copyright notice and this permission notice appear in all copies.
#
# THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND THE AUTHOR DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES
# WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
# MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR
# ANY SPECIAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES
# WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN
# ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF
# OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.

Then I can grab gpsGetSatellites.c and put it in the gpsd contrib
directory.  It really demonstrates how easy it is to get data out of
gpsd into something else.  I find these little snippets really handy
wheen trying to get a handle on solving a problem.

Gary,

I've updated the program with my own copyright - unrestricted but not for profit. I also included a disclaimer about safety critical and life-critical systems. I would suggest including the notes about using the program even if the program alone is a suitable demonstration.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: address@hidden