gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Is GPSD receiving PPS?

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Is GPSD receiving PPS?
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2016 11:18:47 -0700

Yo Jon!

On Mon, 04 Apr 2016 02:12:03 -0500
"Jon Brase" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Apr 2016 14:30:40 -0500, Gary E. Miller <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>
> > Yo Jon!

> >> Just an update on the issues I've been running into on the Pi: I
> >> tried compiling from git tonight, I'm running into the same issues
> >> with GPSD accessing pps as with the prepackaged Raspbian binaries.
> >> Some of the regression tests failed. I'll try to provide details
> >> tomorrow / later today, but I'm up way later than is sane at the
> >> moment.
> >

> > Also provide the command line that you use to start gpsd.
> >

> In this case:
>
> :~# /usr/local/sbin/gpsd -F /var/run/gpsd.sock -nND 5 /dev/ttyAMA0
> /dev/pps0

Why are you using -the -F ?

> I think the pps error messages I'm getting every second are actually
> a bit different than last time:

Care to share those?

> gpsd:INFO: reconnection attempt on device 1
> gpsd:PROG: no etc/gpsd/device-hook present, skipped running ACTIVATE
> hook gpsd:INFO: opening GPS data source type 2 at '/dev/pps0'
> gpsd:PROG: Probing "Garmin USB binary" driver...
> gpsd:PROG: Probe not found "Garmin USB binary" driver...
> gpsd:PROG: Probing "GeoStar binary" driver...
> gpsd:IO: Sent GeoStar packet id 0xc1
> gpsd:IO: => GPS: 5053474700c100010000000050924746 FAILED
> gpsd:PROG: Probe not found "GeoStar binary" driver...
> gpsd:PROG: Probing "Trimble TSIP" driver...
> gpsd:PROG: Probe not found "Trimble TSIP" driver...
> gpsd:PROG: no probe matched...
> gpsd:INFO: gpsd_activate(): activated GPS (fd 6)
> gpsd:INFO: GPS on /dev/pps0 returned error -1 (0.000685 sec since
> data) gpsd:WARN: device read of /dev/pps0 returned error or packet
> sniffer failed sync (flags {ERROR})
> gpsd:INFO: closing GPS=/dev/pps0 (6)

I do not see any problem there.  That ust says you are not getting any
serial data on/dev/pps0.  Which is correct, you only get PPS on it, but
you have no logging here of te PPS thread.

> In the interim, I also switched from systemd back to sysvinit, as
> systemd seemed to be wedging somehow and eating tons of CPU time.

I've never tried systemd, but a common comment.

> As to the failed regression tests, I get the following on completion
> of the regression tests:

> Regression test FAILED: 10 errors in 78 tests total (0 not found).
> The following test Failed:
> "test/daemon/bu303-climbing.log"

Not much anyone can do without the actual errors.

My guess is that endian errors creeped in.  Most of the the maintainers
are using big endian.

> Do you have any preferred means of delivery,
> seeing as you've said the list server strips attachments?

Easy to put them in a pastebin and then post the link to the
pastebin.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588