gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] gpsd fails with Illegal instruction on old Intel CPU

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] gpsd fails with Illegal instruction on old Intel CPU
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 12:24:20 -0500

HÃ¥kan Johansson <address@hidden>:
> Probably the illegal instruction is
>
> asm volatile("mfence");
>
> in barrier() in gpsd.h (from gpsd.h-tail).  That instruction does
> not exist on senior x86 CPUs.  Where senior is something like age >=
> Pentium II/III. There was a discussion on the gpsd-dev mailing list
> end of March about this ("Restrict the barrier() function to x86 and
> x86_64").

Klaus, I'm certain Hakan is right about this.  The fact that you were
able to prevent the problem by compiling with the shared-memory export
off is pretty conclusive.

What I'd like to do is change the build script so it forces shm_export
off if the proccessor is as old as yours.  What do platform.processor()
and platform.machine() return in your Python?