gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Help with extracting time information from GPS to NTPD

From: The Crew
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Help with extracting time information from GPS to NTPD
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 18:46:06 -1000

On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 16:22:20 -0800
Jordan <address@hidden> wrote:

<snip>
> Thanks!  I downloaded the ntp source and recompiled from scratch with the
> SHM driver.  NTPD can now see the GPS time and is syncing to it.  Now I'm
>
> noticing another issue where the reported time from the GPS is ~24 seconds
> ahead of the public time servers.  I did a quick google search and saw this
> matches up with Loran-C time vs UTC.  Is it possible the GPS is reporting in
>
> Loran-C time?  If so, can I compensate for this in NTPD?
<snip>

Sorry for the delayed response....apparently I'm 1209600 seconds behind UTC.

.This is from

http://www.leapsecond.com/
http://www.leapsecond.com/java/gpsclock.htm    (...don't know if it's accurate.)

<quote>
GPS, Global Positioning System time, is the atomic time scale implemented by
the atomic clocks in the GPS ground control stations and the GPS satellites
themselves. GPS time was zero at 0h 6-Jan-1980 and since it is not perturbed by
leap seconds GPS is now ahead of UTC by 15 seconds.
Loran-C, Long Range Navigation time, is an atomic time scale implemented by the
atomic clocks in Loran-C chain transmitter sites. Loran time was zero at 0h
1-Jan-1958 and since it is not perturbed by leap seconds it is now ahead of UTC
by 24 seconds.
TAI, Temps Atomique International, is the international atomic time scale based
on a continuous counting of the SI second. TAI is currently ahead of UTC by 34
seconds.
</quote>

...who knew?  ...not me.

It doesn't answer your question...but you already (by this time)  have the
answer for that..

--
The Crew <address@hidden>