gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] GPS speed and direction reporting

From: Charles Curley
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] GPS speed and direction reporting
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 12:42:13 -0600

On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 10:57:14 -0700
Yan Seiner <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm playing with gpsd as a way to record the trips I take...
> Basically I've hacked gpxlogger to monitor the gps, and every mile or
> so run a webcam program to take a snapshot of the road.
>
> That part works wonderfully.
>
> The webcam program also writes the GPS coordinates, time as reported
> by gpsd, and the direction and speed.

You wouldn't want to share, would you?

> it's the last two where that I'm having issues.  gpsd seems to report
> about a 5 minute rolling average of speed and direction.  I'm not
> sure if this as artifact of gpsd or the gps puck I'm using.
>
> Is there some way to get gpsd to report a, say, 10 second average?  I
> know that the noise in the gps signal will make this more variable.
> Right now, gpsd reports a speed of 25MPH a full 6 minutes after I
> parked the vehicle.....

You didn't identify your GPS receiver. I have a Globalsat BU-353.
http://www.usglobalsat.com/p-62-bu-353-w.aspx#images/product/large/62.jpg
I do not see a lag anything like this. I see a lag in the speed of two
or three seconds, but that's about it.

I believe all the data are generated by the receiver, and gpsd simply
reports the data the receiver sends it.