gpsd-users

[gpsd-users] GPS speed and direction reporting

From: Yan Seiner
Subject: [gpsd-users] GPS speed and direction reporting
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 10:57:14 -0700

I'm playing with gpsd as a way to record the trips I take... Basically I've hacked gpxlogger to monitor the gps, and every mile or so run a webcam program to take a snapshot of the road.

That part works wonderfully.

The webcam program also writes the GPS coordinates, time as reported by gpsd, and the direction and speed.

it's the last two where that I'm having issues. gpsd seems to report about a 5 minute rolling average of speed and direction. I'm not sure if this as artifact of gpsd or the gps puck I'm using.

Is there some way to get gpsd to report a, say, 10 second average? I know that the noise in the gps signal will make this more variable. Right now, gpsd reports a speed of 25MPH a full 6 minutes after I parked the vehicle.....

--
Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from
the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of