RE: [Gomp-discuss] Architecture

From: Scott Robert Ladd
Subject: RE: [Gomp-discuss] Architecture
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 08:46:18 -0500

Lars Segerlund wrote
>    Is there any activity here ?

It has been a bit quiet here, hasn't it?

>   I would like to suggest three things, first that we start from the
> tree-ssa branch, and extend the 'tree' with the common primitives
> necessary for pthread processing.

Should we coordinate with the g95 people? That projects has, unfortunately,
broken into two groups now... one group is pushing for integration with gcc
mainline, so I'll ask on their lists about their plans.

>   Second that we extend the frontends to accept a minimum of the
> necessary directives.

I suggest we start with the loop parallelism directives; these seem to be
the simplest approach. Once we can parallelize fors and dos, we can tackle
parallel regions.

>   Third, that ge generate library or direct pthread calls depending on
> the current system in the backend.
>
>   Also some model of the architecture is needed, shall we use a pthread
> pool ? and pthread reuse ? or how are we to progress ?

Our first task, I think, is to decide on a threading model. I can look at
what various OpenMP compilers do as well. I have several compilers (mostly
Fortran) I can use to get an idea of different approaches.

I think this will be our biggest challenge, given gcc's multi-platform
focus. Are pthreads universal "enough", or do we need to take a generic view
of threads?

..Scott

Scott Robert Ladd
Professional programming for science and engineering;
Interesting and unusual bits of very free code.