Re: crash when using local display but not remote

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: crash when using local display but not remote
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 18:22:55 +0100

> Am 25.02.2020 um 17:25 schrieb Riccardo Mottola <address@hidden>:
>
> Fred Kiefer wrote:
>> I still don’t know for sure what is going on here. Most likely we are
>> overriding some other data when copying the image. To prevent this I made
>> the pre conditions of the new code explicit. If these are not fulfilled no
>> app icon for WindowMaker will be created. I also changed the code to only
>> create this icon for WindowMake, that way less systems will be affected by
>> this issue. Could you please try again on your Letux?
>
> I just tried again, now Ink starts up both locally & remotely!
> However, I get this warning when exporting to a "real color" display
>
> 2020-02-25 16:36:17.620 Ink[2192:2192] Unsupported context depth 24
> 2020-02-25 16:36:18.236 Ink[2192:2192] XShm not supported, XShmAttach()
> failed.
> 2020-02-25 16:36:18.238 Ink[2192:2192] Falling back to normal XImage
> (will be slower).
>

> I suppose XShm fails because it is over ssh? But what is the first message?

That message is just what I added to prevent the issue. Instead of trying to
copy over 32 bits per pixel into a buffer that is way smaller it now outputs
this message and does not create a application icon for WindowMaker. If this
message bothers you I can turn it into a debug message.

> Locally, instead, I only get
> Unsupported context depth 16
>
> So... the depth is correct 16 and 24, but why unsupported?

Yes, this is a result of the app icon code change by Sergii, this new code path
will only work for 32 bit colour information. And no, we are not going to
revert this change.