Building GNUstep for Windows using Clang

From: Frederik Seiffert
Subject: Building GNUstep for Windows using Clang
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 17:55:22 +0100

Hi all,

I’m trying to build GNUstep for Windows using Clang and the 2.0 runtime ABI in order to have support for ARC and blocks, but I’m having some issues and general questions.

I’ve successfully built libobjc2 (as well as libdispatch) in a Visual Studio command prompt using CMake and clang-cl as recommended (i.e. not using MinGW). Should these DLLs link/work when building GNUstep using MSYS2/MinGW?

For me, building GNUstep base in MSYS2/MinGW fails during configure. Using LLD it doesn’t find objc.dll ("unable to find library -lobjc"). Using Gold gives different errors ("unrecognized emulation i386pep" and others). I’ve verified the library search paths.

As I’m pretty new to MinGW on Windows any general pointers are also much appreciated.

Thanks,
Frederik