Re: How to check that selectors exist

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: How to check that selectors exist
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 11:24:17 +0200

Am Dienstag den, 6. August 2002, um 10:49, schrieb Nicola Pero:

Devang thinks this is a
fundamental problem, because at Apple they often do this and he doesn't
want new warnings for existing Apple code.

Unfortunately, I've seen this argument more than once yet. I can't see any on-topic value in this point. Apple often/sometimes prefers to "fix" the compiler instead of fixing the code. And I've seen Darwin projects considered as "finished" but producing more lines of warning messages than the number of lines of code.

It seems, Apple's management doesn't see the relation between clean coding practice and the Company's shareholder value.

To argument more on the topic:

I can't see a forcing reason for either of the possibilities. Each of them is better than none of them.

Since the language allows to have private declarations not only in @interface, there should be two different warnings. One for having an almost-error-condition: not to have such a selector at all and one warning for encouraging good coding practices.

If it isn't possible to have two separate switches, I'd vote to have the more strict version since programmers with sloppy coding styles are typically sloppy on reading warnings, too :-)

Just my $0.02,
Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/