Re: How to check that selectors exist

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: How to check that selectors exist
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 15:08:56 -0600

Matt Austern wrote:
Do you do much Objective C programming?  Good practice in
Objective C is not the same as good practice in C++.

Well, having been the GNUstep maintainer for over 8 years I guess I've done a fair amount :-)

Two observations.
  (1) I assert that very few organizations have as much experience
        with large bodies of Objective C code than Apple applications
        groups.  I claim that they have had more opportunity to learn
        what good Objective C practice is than most other groups out
        there, and that their opinions about good practice should be
        taken seriously.

Well sure, they've practically defined the Objective-C standard. But that doesn't mean everything they do is right. They've written a lot of code and I can't imagine all of it is perfect or conforms to the latest accepted style.

  (2) Devang's original patch is one that will catch probable errors.
        Nicola's proposed change will catch errors and will also catch
        violations of one particular idea of good practice.  I believe a
        closely targeted warning about probable errors is a good idea,
        and that we should not entangle it with the good-practice
        warning.  If we want a forward-declaration warning, it should be

I guess I'm not religiously against the patch, particularly since it's off by default. RMS, for instance, is against the -Wall option, as it encourages an overly strict form of programming style (my interpretation). I have the same type of opposition to Devang's patch, although his patch, in my opinion, encourages an overly sloppy programming style.

--
Adam Fedor, Digital Optics Corp.      | I'm glad I hate spinach, because
http://www.doc.com                    | if I didn't, I'd eat it, and you