gnunet-developers

Re: unsuitable protocols and standards that block innovation

From: Sahil
Subject: Re: unsuitable protocols and standards that block innovation
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 17:29:30 +0530

Hi,

On Friday, March 15, 2024 5:04:13 PM IST carlo von lynX wrote:
> [...]
> A lot about GNUnet and related projects hasn't changed dramatically
> in the past fifteen years. We had our vision laid out even before
> Snowden and suddenly became relevant, so there are many worthwhile
> videos from around that time. Here's some stuff:
>

> https://media.ccc.de/v/34c3-ChaosWest-6-privacy_oriented_distributed_networking_for_an_ethical_internet_including_50_subsystems_of_gnunet
> https://media.ccc.de/v/34c3-ChaosWest-7-scalable_and_privacy_respectful_distributed_systems_our_chance_to_avoid_cloud_computing
> https://media.ccc.de/v/34c3-ChaosWest-1-three_ways_to_enhance_metadata_protection_beyond_tor_secushare_org
>  https://youtu.be/H7TVRYN6Vhk
>
> The one on scalability discusses multicast technologies. I had a
> business doing scalable chat systems before Zuckerberg used ruthless
> methods to gain market dominance.
>
> [...]
> Have a look, it's especially dramatic when embedding binary data:
> https://psyc.eu/libpsyc/bench/benchmark.html#sec-3

Thank you for the resources. They have been very helpful. I haven't
finished going through all of them but it feels like I am beginning to
understand certain things now.

I am sorry I didn't acknowledge your email soon enough.

> [...]
> Not sure how well existing libraries abstract involved headaches away.
> When it comes to dealing with radio and its protocol implementations
> you might find yourself spending a lot of time dealing with glitches
> and things that should be working according to the docs, but don't.
> But once it works it is obviously very useful to have. The way any
> GNUnet node should be able to work with any other should at least
> avoid the whole pairing business. Ideally simply flicking bluetooth or
> wifi on should allow your locally running GNUnet node to exchange
> traffic with other nodes in the vicinity, in theory.

Understood. I have also been going through parts of GNUnet's source
code (particularly gnunet-communicator-*).

I feel I have to cover a lot more ground before I can get involved in practical
work.

Thanks,
Sahil