gnunet-developers

Looking to contribute to GNUnet

From: valdaarhun
Subject: Looking to contribute to GNUnet
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2024 12:49:07 +0530

Hi,

My name is Sahil. I go by the pseudonym valdaarhun on
Github. I have an interest in P2P systems and network
engineering. I had worked on a semester long research
project [1] on P2P networks on distributed key generation
under a professor while in university as psart of my
bachelor's program.

I am no longer in university but would like to continue
working in this realm outside of my day job. The P2P
developed as part of my project was an impractical one
tailored for the purposed of the project. I would now like
to get hands-on experience on a practical P2P network
and architecture.

I am not eligible for GSoC but would like to engage with
the community and look forward to becoming a long-term
contributor to GNUnet.

I have already started going through the documentation [2]
but haven't set up a development environment yet. I'll do
that too.

I have taken a look at the project' roadmap [3]. Some items
are very intersting such as onion routing with RPS but they
have been planned to be worked on after the 1.0 release.

I would love to get some advice on what I could work on as a
first project. In the roadmap, the checkbox for NAT hasn't been
checked under the TNG section. Can I help out with that?

Or how's the idea of writing a new communicator plugin for
TNG? For eg., a plugin for XMPP [4]? I am not sure if this needed
in GNUnet. I thought I would put my idea out there to get some
feedback.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Sahil