gnump3d-users

Re: [Gnump3d-users] Trouble streaming files ending in .m4a

From: kracker
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-users] Trouble streaming files ending in .m4a
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 18:01:31 -0500

Hmm,

Perhaps I was not specific enough in my previous descriptions of the
perceived breakdown in the desired functionality, which is ....
streaming files ending in *.m4a

Here's How I replicate the situation.

0) Ensure the audio server is running and available
1) Run Audio Player (Winamp v5.08)
2) Add URL to Playlist, http://audio.example.org:8088/recurse.m3u
3) Step #2 Populates my Playlist Window with the contents of my entire
GNUmp3d Server (Lots of Audio Files, Mostly GNU / FSF / RMS / EM
Speeches ;)
4) At this point I can play any one of the hundreds of audio files

5) It appears that most files ending in *.mp3 are streamed and begin
playing very quickly after a connection is made back to the audio
server

6) Unfortunately it appears that most files ending in *.m4a are not
streamed but first must open a secondary window titled "M4A HTTP
Download", which begins to download the entire contents of the file to
the local computer (each time :( ) ... It also says something like "
Retrieving file ..( xx% done) .. xx bytes completed / xx bytes total,
read @ xxx.xx kb / sec"

7) Then after the m4a audio file is downloaded it begins playing, if
you stop and start the playing of the file the entire audio file must
then again be downloaded.

With hundreds of audio files (yes, mostly music :) it becomes fairly
tier some to endure the download again and again while listening to my
audio.

Ok, now with that out of the way I can move forward :) I'm willing and
honestly a bit eager to doing a little contributing development work
to improve the package in this regard/general, once I identify a bit
more clearly just where the breakdown lies.

I had thought that it was a breakdown in the server software as it
supports both streaming and download of audio files in different
context (audio player vs web application). I could very well be
looking in the wrong direction, I'm open to this possibility as I
don't know enough about how Winamp 5 would interact with the server at
'that' level :|

//kracker

Tony Bacala : Transformers : Lets Roll ( Old School Remix)
Sage Francis - Sick of Waging War - Narcissist - Remix

Interested In free software? Listen to free software advocates, you
know ... for fun :)

FSF/GNU Recordings : Audio Mirror
http://ezcommunity.net/article/view/190/1/43/
http://ezcommunity.net/download/gnu_audio/