Re: [Gnumed-devel] the state of test measurement storage and display in

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] the state of test measurement storage and display in GNUmed
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 20:46:19 +0000

On 2013-11-27, at 2:41 AM, Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:

> Changing the column name is out of the question for 1.4
> as it would change the API (and the hash which checks
> to API stability). Doing so would require extremely
> good reason. Linguistics-du-jour are not.

By no means am I pushing for any sudden renaming of a column.

Before further responding to the "Linguistics-du-jour ...", I wanted to start
by offering the following, because I found them, particularly the first,
interesting. The other two go mainly to the idea of "standardization".

1) From Local Laboratory to Standardisation and beyond Applying a common
grading system
        http://www.phuse.eu/download.aspx?type=cms&docID=201

- see esp page 6-7:

        NORMALISATION

For example let’s assume a value of 10 was obtained from local laboratory A
with a normal range of 5-25, if we want to normalize this value using the
standard laboratory range, that was established to be 10-35, by applying the
above formula we would obtain a normalized value of 16.25 as detailed here below

s = 10+ [(10−5) x (35−10) / (25−5)]
   = 16.25

2) Standardizing Laboratory Data by Mapping to LOINC
        http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1513656/pdf/353.pdf

3) Successful Lab Result Conversion for LAB Analysis Data with Minimum Effort
        http://www.lexjansen.com/pharmasug/2009/dm/dm06.pdf

-- JIm