gnuherds-app-dev

Re: Localization not using Unicode?

From: Antenore Gatta
Subject: Re: Localization not using Unicode?
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 09:37:10 +0200

Hi all,

2006/10/13, Davi Leal :
Hi Lars,

Good point!.  I will change the Spanish messages.po file too. Is UTF-8
the right Unicode encoding to use?.

Yes you are right.

Maybe we should change all files to an Unicode encoding, even the
.php, .tpl, etc., which could have some strings embedded. I can carry
out such task using emacs to force saving with an encoding.

To convert from one charset to one another you can simply use this:

iconv --from-code=ISO-8859-1 --to-code=UTF-8 ./oldfile.htm > ./newfile.html

To enable UTF8 in emacs and vim you can do as follows

emacs: update your .emacs file with

(setq locale-coding-system 'utf-8)
(set-terminal-coding-system 'utf-8)
(set-keyboard-coding-system 'utf-8)
(set-selection-coding-system 'utf-8)
(prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)

And remove all the stuff like (standard-display-european 1)

You can also enable it manually with M-x prefer-coding-system utf8

Vim: There are different ways to do it

Set your LC_TYPE locally and start vim:

LC_CTYPE=it_IT.UTF-8 vim

Or you can execute a terminal window with the LC_TYPE set to UTF8 like this

LC_CTYPE=it_IT.UTF-8 xterm -u8 -fn
'-misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso10646-1'

P.S.: My Internet provider has not set up the connection at my new
home yet, so the delay in the reply. I am not at work.

I've a similar problem, until November I'll not have the internet
connection in the new Lausanne home, so I can only manage emails
during the week and cvs commits in the weekend

I've realized that often my reply contains email addresses, I'm sorry
for this I'll pay more attention in the future.

One request for all, if you reaply a message to all please remove
personal emails from addresse fields.

Thank you guys
Have a nice weekend
Antenore.